Thursday, August 8, 2013

30

30 is embedded into my brain. A couple of years ago I forgot all about our wedding anniversary.  That date is a simple set of numbers and very important to me.  However, I bet I did not forget 30 that week. No. No. No.  30 is a part of my runner’s brain. I can go to bed with it, wake with it, and even dream of it.  My whole week revolves around it. 30.

That is my mileage goal if you have not already guessed.  If I run 5 on Monday, that leaves me with 25.  Only 3 on Tuesday, well got to make it up with only 5 more days to go (my running week is Monday through Sunday). Constantly trying to calculate and gauge my busy life and work schedule to get to 30. Long runs, short runs, some days with 2 runs, and at least 1 day off.  Need 30.

Sometimes at the beginning of the week I can clearly see the plan.  30 in sight; no problem.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes not so easy. Sometimes at the beginning of the week, usually while I am running, I look ahead and try to plan and just do not see how the hell I can do it.  Where is my 30.  How to sneak it in?

I try to always be ready with clothes, shoes, and gear at home and at work.  Planning my 2 hour pre-run fast.  Gadgets all charged.  Ready. Need my 30.

Oh the joy of that Sunday when I have worked hard to log 21 and I break away in the late afternoon and get 9. That means 30. Got 30.  Wow, now that really feels good. Accomplishment.

But my brain is constantly crunching that number 30. Some days I just cannot get away to run or cannot make the 6 that I need to keep me on pace to 30. Must recalculate and reschedule my week.  Runner’s brain working for 30.

Every week it starts over even if I only got 25 the past week.  Reset and plan for 30. That week with 25 or maybe even 20?  Well, I can justify, not 30, but must be short for a reason.  Don’t string two non 30 weeks together.  My brain would not like that. Need 30.

A runner’s brain must just work that way.  Set a goal and reach that goal. OK, next goal. Next 30.

Does your brain work that way?

What do you think?

Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment