Saturday, August 3, 2013

Off and running

The daughter of a cousin of the neighbor of the race director sings The Star Spangled Banner in a wobbly voice that she thinks sounds like what she heard before the baseball game the other night.
Then... ready ...set ...Go (its the start of my runners blog).

This morning at 8am I ran a 5K in Piedmont Park.  The park is a pretty large park, of rolling hills, located in Mid-town.  It is a nice park, the architect was Frederick Law Olmsted, also the architect of Central Park in NYC. (read The White City)
The race was entirely in the park and the fee, are you ready, $5.  No timing chips, park facility restroom (real restrooms), and no frills.  There was water and decent snacks afterwards. Nice to run a cheap race with a nice course these days. Very very humid morning.
My time was good, but are we ever really satisfied?  A more efficient stride, a little more effort, more kick at the end, less doubt in the middle? I can be OK with my time, but if only faster.
Issues going into this race were multiple. New GPS watch (topic for more discussions), new MP3 player, (topic for more discussions), and out of my pre-race food (topic for more discussions).
There was one guy in front of me going into mile 2 and I needed to play it safe and pass him or road kill in Ragnar terms. Steady and persistent, I passed him and kept in front although I felt him on my shoulder at about the 2.5 mark. Good song came on and I was motivated. Other than that, no particular tales to tale, but they will come.

I hope we can also soon talk about the critical importance of the number 30.

So, stay with me.

What do you think?
Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment