Sunday, September 22, 2013

Harbin Park 10K trail race

Yesterday was the Xterra Harbin Park 10K trail race. For me, it started with a 45 minute drive early morning drive to a rural park.  About 7:11am I topped a hill, cruising down a country highway (as country as can be in metro-Atlanta) and Jimi Hendrix came on the satellite radio as I was suddenly looking at the vast horizon of a burning red sky. Morning was breaking and it was quite a beautiful site. It slowly slid into a variety of red hues with some purple thrown in.  What a way to start the day.

Arrived at this great park in good time to get a good parking spot, pick up my race bib, stretch, and get my warm up run in.  Today I get to use my Asics trail shoes.  It really is a beautiful day, mild weather but humid because in a little while, on my way home, it will begin to rain and rain all day.

The race is a sell out as they always seem to be.  500 runners on the trail.  It is a good trail about 4’ wide and nicely groomed.  There are plenty of brownish leaves to hide the rocks and roots along the way. There are also plenty of rocks and roots.  At several spots along the course there are also beds of sand which I hate to run in.  Only once did I trip on a root.  I caught myself before my face hit the ground, thank goodness. Going up one of the steep hills, and there were a lot of them, it was so slippery with small and medium rocks that it felt like my legs were acting like wagon wheels; going round and round in big circular arks just like in the cartoons.

I came in second place in my age group.  The first place guy was 8.5 seconds in front of me.  I did not see him until I had passed the 5.5 mile mark.  This means that he had to start ahead of me.  With these trail runs I like to start a little farther back than usual because it gets pretty hairy when everyone gets compressed onto the trail.

This was a well-run (pun) race and the organization was good.  Dirty Spokes, Xterra do a good job.  I had a good time and would do it again.  Maybe I will next year.

What do you think?

Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment