Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer Soaker 10K

Today is Labor Day and I ran the Summer Sizzler 10K. It was a well organized event and a fast paced run down Peachtree Street.  Running down Peachtree always seems like a treat to me. The slight rolling hills made it a fast course. Plenty of water stations, however I try to avoid these and will speak about that soon.

On the way to the race, oh so early this morning, there were some sprinkles of rain and huge flashes of lightning.  But, during my warm up stretches and run it remained dry.  Then in those 10 minutes when you are on the anxious side of the starting line it began to sprinkle.  When the start was issued it was raining and it rained the whole race.  Not fierce, but some big drops, and a steady plopping rain.  By the fifth mile there were puddles to avoid along the asphalt.  My wet running clothes added at least five pounds to my weight.

The end of the race was not to my liking with too many corners to turn.  Right at the end there were three corners.  I like to turn a corner and see the finish line so I know where I am going and can leave what I have left on the course.  That last bit is a great place to pass others, too.  But, today by the time you turned that last corner there was little room to make that last move and have your final kick. Still, it was a good race and my pace was 7:33.

So the posted results showed me as 2nd in my age group, defeated by about 30 seconds.  That is a good measure of defeat.  The awards had me listed as 3rd place because they are based on the gun time. So the 2nd place award winner was slower than me (5th in our age division) but because he started ahead of me he was placed ahead of me.  I usually try to place myself about 1/3 of the way back in the starting group.  There are always plenty of slower runners at the front of the pack that you have to maneuver around and I must have had to maneuver around the 2nd place award winner.  I did not stick around for awards, but still something is not mathematically or logically right with this plan.  If you are timed by a chip, that is what should determine all of your placings.  Not one for the race and one for the awards.

The after race expo was stocked with goodies and vendors; however with the rain coming down I took off.

My pre-race routine was scattered for this one and I will address that next.  Stay tuned.

What do you think?

Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment