Monday, October 14, 2013

Prep for a Half

This week I prep for running the Allstate Insurance 13.1 race early on a Sunday morning.  Training for this actually began 2 ½ months ago when I started getting in long runs on the weekends.  Most often these would be squeezed in on Sunday.  It is better if I don’t wait till the last day of my running week to finish off my 30 because it puts extra pressure on me to get it done. But, that is how it seemed to work out.  Maybe, on the other hand, it ensured that I would get a long one in.

Starting early to get those long runs in are very important to getting myself ready for a half marathon.  By long I am talking about 10+ miles. That pretty much stretches me out and gets my brain wrapped around the distance. If my brain knows I can do it then I should be good.  I worry more about it giving up more than my body.  Sure, I could have an injury.  Pull a hammy.  But as you get into mile 9 or 10 it is your brain that could cause you trouble.  Questioning your reasons for being out there, your abilities, your pace, your pace; all are what our brains will challenge us with.

These long runs also help to pick out what shoes work the best for these long runs.  Because I keep a few pair going at the same time, all usually with different feels and support, I want to get out the pair that will make me feel good start to finish.  Cushioning is important when I am racing more than 9 miles.  I can also see what running socks and clothes work for these runs.  Not to forget my hydration system which I have already blogged about.  No need for me to carry water for shorter runs, but certainly important for the long run.

For the week heading directly into a half, I have to scale down my mileage to some 3 milers and one 6 miler.  At race time I want to be at 16 to 20 miles of my 30.  That week I will also only work out at the gym once and I try to do it mid-week.  This makes me feel good and my legs fresh for race day.

The night before I usually don’t sleep great and have to get up so early anyway.  I try to get some extra snoozing in the night before the night before. Since I am usually operating in sleep deprivation mode, this is really important. Then a good light dinner the night before with something easy to digest and that will provide energy.  I like having a protein shake. (I will speak about my strange eating habits soon.)

What do you think?

Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment