Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Beltline 8K Race

OK, I’m late for my review of the race.  Work can be inhibitive to my life as a runner and blogger. But, rest assured, I still remember the race.

It was a cool morning and really nice outside.  Another cool thing was that the start line was close to home so no need to drive.  Instead I decided to use a run to the starting line as my pre-race warm up.  It was nice but turned out to be 2 ¼ miles and farther than I thought.  Along the way I had to keep slowing myself down and reminding myself that I was simply warming up for a run to come. This resulted in another change in my routine that I had not considered.  When I arrived at the starting area I went through my pre-race stretches. Usually I stretch and then do the warm-up run.

The word I used and heard used after the race was “hilly.”  And it certainly was.  Hilly. Up and down and up and up.  This part of Atlanta, around Grant Park, is very hilly. The race, while called a beltline race, was actually around neighborhoods and parks that will become, or be near, the beltline.  It was scenic running through those neighborhoods.  There was plenty to gaze at along the way and up the hills. We went through or by three parks, one of which was a big surprise.  It was where I used to play and practice baseball and football as a kid in elementary school.  It was also the park I would go to and run around to get myself in shape when I started high school. It was really cool to go by and see.

The last 2 miles were all up hill, but the final .2 was a downhill strip.  I flew down that last bit and passed two along the way.  I finished first in my age group and afterwards one of the volunteers at the awards tent said he remembered me and I was flying.  That was nice to hear.


It was a good race and I enjoyed it.  You should give it a try next time.  Two negatives: it started at least 15 minutes late (OK 3 things: terrible rendition of national anthem) and the music at the post-race activities was incredibly loud so that you could not talk without yelling. 

What do you think?
Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment