Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Race: Allstate 13.1 half

It starts so very early on race day.  This autumn Sunday began with the alarm going off at 4:45AM.  I needed to crawl out and eat my pre-race Simple Square bar by 5AM so that I had two hours before the start time of 7AM. Got dressed quickly and quietly trying not to disturb my wife and the dogs. Then out into the cool morning air and away in my truck.

First stop was the nearby McDonalds for a cup of black coffee to drink on the way.  The race was in Brookhaven and only about a 15 minute drive at that time of day.  Once I got there I hit bad traffic trying to get into the shopping center where the start and finish lines are.  Every year it is more crowded (my 3rd year) and this time it was a little scary. I get anxious before start time and that is why I like to get there early. Maybe I did not leave early enough this time. My parking spot was on the next to the top floor of the parking building.

While getting myself together and stretching I had some conversations with the other racers that were doing the same kind of things as me.  We all have our pre-race routines and procedures. So, then it was time for the trip to the porta-johns with about 20 minutes before start time. Whoa, the lines were incredible and would take up my entire pre-race time. But, on the way in I had spotted 3 johns that were in place on the main road in so I decided to take a chance on them. Second in line when I got to them, so now I am feeling lucky for this race. After taking care of business I had plenty of time for a warm up run.

At the starting area they have corals for the under 1:48:00 run time.  I am not in a coral, but in the throng. There are pace groups and I did not sign up for a group.  That seems like too much pressure or on the other hand an excuse. I find a spot with the 1:50:00 group and get ready to go.

This is a really hilly race run primarily through neighborhoods.  There are plenty of distractions to look at along the way and I need them. Hills are supposed to have an upside and a down side.  These hills only seemed to have the upside. They are tough.  There are a lot of runners out on this course and over 13 miles you get to see a lot of running styles and abilities. There was much enthusiasm out there, at least over the first nine or ten.  That’s when your mind questions your sanity for about a mile before you realize that there is not much farther to go and you can and will make it.
   
The last bit to the finish line is a downhill and I kicked it with all I had left.  I read a long time ago that if you kick it in it makes it easier the next time.  So, I leave it all out there.  My miles were all run at a pretty consistent pace and my time was 1:47:29.

What do you think?
Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment